90 Years: The George Washington Bridge
The Port of New York Authority began construction in October of 1927. Twice as long as any previous suspension bridge, with an extraordinary 3,500-foot center span, it was the marvel of its time.
While under construction, the bridge was unofficially known as the "Hudson River Bridge". However, the Port Authority named the bridge after George Washington upon its dedication in 1931, based on ballots submitted by New York and New Jersey residents.
'90 Years' blog entries will feature historical happenings and news that surrounded the Long family at the beginning of our Cadillac dealership in 1927